April 1951: George Risk, founder and first president, begins operations in two small rooms on the second floor of a downtown Columbus, Nebraska office building. Dale Products, Inc. begins the first day of business with three employees, a coil winding machine, and the idea for a revolutionary new of type resistor. This is the RH-25, a heat sink type power resistor with radial fins that is destined to revolutionize the power resistance field. Backed financially by a few Columbus businessmen who had pooled the necessary capital to finance this modest venture, the remainder of Dale's assets consists of nothing but determination.
Early 1954-1956: Included in Dale's early expansion are the establishment of a special products plant in Albuquerque, New Mexico in early 1954 and the acquisition of a trimmer potentiometer manufacturing plant in Burbank, California in April 1956.
Fall 1959: Dale acquires a one-third interest in Canadian Electrical Resistance Ltd. of Toronto, Ontario. The name of the Canadian firm is changed to Cerl-Dale Ltd.
January 1960: For greater efficiency of operations and to create more job opportunities in the Midwest area, the Albuquerque division is moved to Columbus.
August 1960: Dale is involved in a merger with Hathaway Instruments of Denver, Colorado. The Hathaway group includes Clemco Aero Products of Gardenia, California and Sterling Electric Motors of Los Angeles, California.
September 1960: Company growth continues with the acquisition of Sioux Radio Products of Yankton, South Dakota. The Sioux Division of Dale began with 18 employees in a small facility in downtown Yankton, producing a variety of custom magnetics, high-frequency inductors, surge and lighting arresters, and motorized potentiometers.
June 1961: The trimmer manufacturing division is moved to Columbus.
August 1961: The Cerl-Dale Ltd operation becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dale, at which time the corporation name is changed to Dale Electronics, Inc.
September 1961: Hathaway becomes a part of the Lionel Corporation and Dale becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Lionel. This results in an organization employing more than 5,000 people in nine states. Lionel, already a household word because of its endeavors in the electric train and scientific toy field, now includes, in addition to the Dale line of electronic components, such products as hydraulic and pneumatic equipment, electronic heat treating equipment, connectors, motorized potentiometers, and heavy industrial electric motors.
1962: George Risk resigns from Dale Electronics to devote himself full-time to other business interests. William R. Simpson is named President of Dale Electronics, Inc.
September 1966: Dale relocates its Film division from Columbus to Norfolk, Nebraska, to take advantage of the excellent labor market in that area and form a solid link in a chain of plants extending along a hundred mile line of Highway 81 from Columbus to Yankton, South Dakota.
1967: The Lionel-Telerad line of connectors is added to the Columbus product divisions and the Telerad motorized potentiometers line begins production in Yankton.
June 1967: The Film division in Norfolk moves into a new facility covering more than 36,000 square feet and employing over 400 people.
1968: A new 45,000 square foot plant is completed in Yankton for Dale's Inductor division.
1970: The connector product line is relocated from Columbus to the new facility in Yankton.
February 1972: Dale completes the acquisition of the Welwyn Resistor manufacturing facility in London, Ontario, Canada.
May 1973: Dale opens a sales office in Munich, Germany to better serve the expanding European market.
August 1974: A wirewound facility is opened in York, Nebraska to manufacture commercial wirewound resistors.
1975: Dale opens a plant in Kaufbeuren, Germany.
August 1976: TMC Systems, Inc., a crystal manufacturing facility in Tempe, Arizona, is added to the Dale family and assumes the name Dale Electronics, Inc., Frequency Control Group.
1978: The former Welwyn Resistor manufacturing facility in London, Ontario, Canada is closed and the special technology is moved to the Norfolk Film Division.
January 1979: A Dale facility is opened in El Paso, Texas
1980: Work begins in a Dale plant located in Juarez, Mexico.
1981: Inductor operations start up at the Juarez, Mexico site.
January 1982: Dale acquires the resistive products business of American Components, Inc. (ACI) operating out of Robbinsville, North Carolina, Dale also acquires ACI's 50% ownership of ACI Components Ltd. of Maryport, England, which manufactures and sells resistors in Great Britain.
November 1985: Vishay Intertechnology, Inc. acquires a 50% interest in Dale.
September 1986: Dale reaches manufacturing agreements with a new associated company named Dale Israel to make electronic components in Dimona, Israel for use in Europe and the United States. At the same time that the Dale Israel announcement is made, a warehouse and sales distribution center is opened in Singapore to better serve the Asian market.
July 1988: Vishay buys the remaining 50% interest in Dale.
1993: Vishay Dale inductor operations start up in Israel.
1994: A patent is issued for Power Metal Strip® resistor technology. Vishay Dale Power Metal Strip resistors are used for precision current monitoring of sensitive circuits, such as those in electric power meters, industrial systems, and automotive electronic controls for engines, transmissions, and pollution reduction systems.
2001 A patent is issued for the Vishay Dale IHLP® inductor. This groundbreaking component features higher frequency operation, higher current ratings, and smaller sizes than competing devices.
2010: Vishay Dale inductor operations start up in the Danshui, China site.
2010: Vishay's Thin Film North America Division becomes part of the Vishay Dale Resistors Division.