In 1987, Vishay Intertechnology, Inc. acquired Draloric Electronic GmbH in Selb, Germany. The roots of the Selb company go back to the year 1900, when the locally based Rosenthal porcelain factory founded Division E to develop technical ceramics for resistors and insulators.
1879: Philip Rosenthal moves to Selb. The porcelain factory Philip Rosenthal & Co. starts with porcelain painting at Erkersreuth Castle.
1886: Relocation of porcelain painting to Selb.
1891: Philip Rosenthal starts porcelain manufacturing in Selb.
1897: Restructuring of the company to Philip Rosenthal & Co., Limited with the participation of the Dresdner Bank.
1900: Initiated by AEG, Philip Rosenthal founds Division E (Electro-technology) for the production of insulators and ceramic parts for electrical applications.
1910: Start of ceramic parts production in
Core construction of the current buildings in Geheimrat-Rosenthal-Stra�e in Selb as porcelain factories.
1912: Europe's first 500 KV test field for insulators is set up in Selb.
1921: For a contract period of 80 years, AEG and Rosenthal found the "Interessengemeinschaft zur Herstellung von Erzeugnissen aus keramischem Material f�r elektrotechnische Anwendungen" [Interest Group concerning the production of products consisting of ceramic material for electro-technical applications].
1929: Construction of the "Hochvolthaus" in Selb,
a special building for high-voltage insulator testing up to
2.2 million volts.
Start of development and production of glazed wirewound resistors and high-resistance film resistors in Selb.
1931: Start-up of serial wirewound resistor production and high-resistance film resistor production in Selb.
1933: Relocation of resistor production to the current Plant 2.
1936: Founding of Rosenthal lsolatoren GmbH I RIG
by the companies AEG (Berlin), Rosenthal & Co. AG
(Selb), and Rosenthal Porzellanfabrik Bahnhof Selb GmbH
AEG and Rosenthal each hold a 50% share.
RIG Plant 2 starts resistor production.
1939: Acquisition of the porcelain factory of Wilhelm Hofmann in Erkersreuth, later Plant 3, for the production of ceramic components (plugs, switches, supports, bobbin carriers, insulating beads, etc.)
1940: Start of wirewound resistor production in
The factory buildings are painted with camouflage paint during the war.
1944: RIG employs 4496 staff members at 11 sites. Annual Turnover: 25.6 million DM
1945: After the war, RIG is left with 7 sites in Bavaria. They started from scratch with the production of electrical heating devices (hotplates, irons, bed warmers, cigarette lighters, etc.).
1946: Dr. Ing. Oskar Paul is nominated as Head of Resistor Production.
1948: Currency reform:
RIG employs 1348 staff members.
Production of ceramic capacitors starts in Selb, Plant 3.
1949: Set-up of capacitor production at the Hoffman factory, the so-called "brickworks," on the premises of the current Plant 3.
1950: Expansion of the Plant 2 buildings at Geheimrat-Rosenthal-Stra�e to increase the production area for film resistors.
1951: Relocation of Plant 4, a metal parts production plant in barracks in the current Plant 3 premises, to Capacitor Factory 3.
1953: Expansion of the Plant 2 building (rotunda) for the expansion of insulator production.
1955: RIG is organized as independently operating
Plant Group I: Insulators
Plant Group II: Resistors under Dr. Oskar Paul
Plant Group III: Capacitor under Ing. Rudolf Pfeifer
New construction of the paste mill at Plant 3.
1960: Discontinuation of insulator production in Plant 2. Resistor production (Work Group II) takes over the entire building.
1961: Selb Plant 2 expansion of the laboratory building and extension for glass manufacture and raw materials processing.
1962: Development of a production line for metal oxide film resistors.
1963: Vishay license for the end production of
metal film resistors.
Set-up of central training workshop in Selb, Plant 2.
Dr. Oskar Paul is nominated as the Technical Director of RIG.
1966: Extension of the paste mill at Plant III
and extension for the laboratory, end production, and
Realignment of the film resistor program to 9 preferred sizes from the original 49.
1968: Restructuring of the extended construction at Plant II for central development, data processing, and resistor production.
1971: Company is restructured as a pure component
AEG takes over all RIG shares.
Plant I (high-voltage insulators) from RIG and Steatite-Magnesia (STEMAG) plants in Holenbrunn and Lauf are incorporated into Rosenthal-Technik GmbH, subsequently CERAMTEC.
The RIG resistor and capacitor plants, Work Groups II and III, together with the component activities of STEMAG in Porz and Berlin (DRALOWID), as well as AEG in Nuremberg (NSF), are consolidated into CRL ELECTRONIC BAUELEMENTE GmbH (75% AEG and 25% Rosenthal) registered in Nuremberg.
1972: Management location of CRL Electronic Bauelemente GmbH in rotunda, Plant 2.
1974: Renaming of CRL to DRALORIC ELECTRONIC GmbH, changing of the company logo, and continuation of the company through AEG
1975: The STEMAG DRALOWID plants in Porz,
Siegburg, and Berlin are incorporated into DRALORIC
Film trimmers are relocated to Selb and Pfreimd.
1977: Dr. Oskar Paul retires from his management position. He is succeeded by Frank Dieter Maier, later under CORNING and VISHAY Werner Stadler and Dr. Gerald Paul.
1981: DRALORIC GmbH is taken over by CORNING
GLASS WORKS, Corning/USA, and incorporated into the
The financial department is relocated from Nuremberg to Selb.
1982: The extension of metal film resistor
production at Marxgr�n moves ahead. Selb Plant II and
Fichtelberg take over production of fiberglass-core and
cemented resistors. Start of large-volume production of
metal film resistors SMA 0207 in Marxgr�n.
Move of production of LCA 0207 (carbon film resistors) from Marxgr�n to Selb and extension of vacuum evaporation capacity in Selb.
Expansion of the production area to the 1st floor of former Plant II.
Production starts in Selb of MELF resistors based on the technology of metal film resistors SMA 0204 and SMA 0207.
1984: Expansion of processing at Plant 2 by
extending the laboratory building.
First edition of internal newsletter "Draloric intern" is published.
1985: The company name DRALORIC ELECTRONIC GmbH is changed to CORNING GmbH.
1986: Isostatic press set-up for economic production of ceramic power capacitors at Plant 3
1987: VISHAY INTERTECHNOLOGY, Inc., (U.S.) takes over CORNING GmbH (formerly DRALORIC, CRL, RIG) and continues the company under the former name DRALORIC ELECTRONIC GmbH.
1988: DRALORIC Israel is founded in Dimona.
Expansion of MELF production starts in Selb.
The production of wirewound potentiometers is relocated to Selb.
1989: The German Vishay DALE subsidiaries are incorporated into DRALORIC.
1991: Incorporation of the SFERNICE sales
organisation into DRALORIC Sales.
Founding of the subsidiary in Prestice, Czechoslavakia.
Production of film trimmers and wirewound resistors.
1992: VISHAY acquires SPRAGUE (U.S.). Sales in Germany are assigned to DRALORIC.
1993: VISHAY acquires ROEDERSTEIN GmbH (Landshut, Germany) and assigns it to DRALORIC.
1994: Founding of VISHAY EUROPE GmbH with
DRALORIC ELECTRONIC GmbH as a subsidiary.
VISHAY acquires VITRAMON (U.S.) and incorporates German operations into Draloric. Installation of Central Shipping Department at Plant 3.
1996: The company name is changed from DRALORIC ELECTRONIC GmbH to VISHAY ELECTRONIC GmbH.
2001: Thin film and chip resistor production divisions are set up in Selb.
2002: VISHAY acquires BCcomponents, former passive component businesses of Philips Electronics (Netherlands) and Beyschlag (Germany), the strongest competitor in Europe, and incorporates it into VISHAY ELECTRONIC GmbH.
2005: Dr. Gerald Paul assumes the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Vishay.
2005: Production of thin film chip resistors is
started in Selb.
SMM 0204 MELF resistors are used in European satellite programs like Galileo (European GPS).
2006: Retirement of Rainer Kropf, Executive Vice President, Administration, Worldwide, and Erich Sch�dlich, Executive Vice President, Sales, Worldwide.