Panel Potentiometers are variable resistors that are commonly used for all applications involving a reasonable number of cycles (few tens of thousands, manually actuated). Mounted behind the front panel for various equipment, they frequently feature buttons mounted on their shafts. Typical applications include: setting the light or the brightness of a screen, turning the volume for an audio application, setting the speed on tool machining equipment, or various parameters for industrial remote controls.
Typical markets include:
- Off-road tractors, excavators, cranes
- Avionic : overrhead panels
- Medical : syringe pumps
- Industrial : various parameters to be set up on machines.
Key parameters defining a panel potentiometer:
- Resistive element material: depending on the application could be cermet of conductive plastic
- Overall dimensions, dependent on the available space for the application
- Sealing level: dependent on customers' constraints
- Lifespan requested directly related to the application
- Variation laws: a few are available (please refer to datasheets)
- Admissible power: wide-range function of the potentiometer model
- Other common options: detents (torque increase in determined position) / switches: rotary or push-push / mutiple resistive modules (multi-gang potentiometers) / custom shafts and bushings/ inner and outer shafts actuating different resistive modules
In summary Vishay offers a very versatile family of products with a wide range of potential options.